My family LOVES to eat Italian food! We love spaghetti and lasagna and all the yumminess but carby pastas tend to be a little heavy so I’ve lightening up our meals with zoodles! What are zoodles you ask? Zucchini noodles! I recently bought a vegetable spiralizer and have been experimenting with all the fun things I can do with spiraled veggies.
One of my favorite pasta dishes is baked spaghetti pie, it’s super easy and is a huge crowd pleaser! I thought this might be a good dish to translate to a lower carb version with zoodles, and it was!
To make the crust of the “pie” you’ll need spiralized zucchini, ricotta cheese, Italian seasoning and an egg. You’ll want to mix all of these ingredients together until all of the zoodles are coated in the mixture and then you’ll need to press it into an oven safe skillet, slightly higher on the sides.
Next You’ll want to add about half a can of diced tomatoes to the middle of the “pie”.
You’ll then want to cover the whole top of the dish with spaghetti sauce. I use an organic and sugar free kind, but you should use you favorite.
You’ll want to pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees and let your spaghetti pie bake for about 40 minutes. In the last 5 minutes I sprinkle with some mozzarella cheese pearls and let those melt.
Let your spaghetti pie rest for about 10 minutes after it has finished baking. After your pie has baked serve it up and enjoy! This is a fabulous easy dish and is amazing as a make ahead meal! I hope this gave you a little recipe inspiration, thank you for stopping by!
- 2 Zucchini Squash
- 1/2 Cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 of a 15oz Can Of Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Jar Of Spaghetti Sauce
- Mozzarella ( shredded or pearls, as much or little as you want)
- Wash and cut off the two ends of each zucchini squash. Use a veggie spiralizer to spiralize both of the zucchinis.
- Mix ricotta, egg, Italian seasoning and zucchini until zucchini is coated well with the mixture.
- Press the zoodles into an oven safe skillet, making the sides a little higher and middle slightly depressed, like a pie.
- Add half the can of diced tomatoes to the center of the "pie".
- Spread the tomato sauce over the top of the "pie", you can lay the sauce on as thick as you want.
- Bake the pie in the oven at 400 degrees fahrenheit for 40 minutes.
- In the last 5 minutes of baking add the mozzarella to the top of the dish, return to oven and finish baking.
- After the pie has finished baking allow the pie to rest for 10 minutes before serving.