Happy Fourth of July weekend everyone! I hope you are getting ready for all the fun, food and festivities- I know we are! I wanted to take a second this afternoon and share with you one of my favorite recipes, it’s a crowd pleaser and there are typically no leftovers, and that’s how you really know if something is yummy 😉
For as long as I can remember my family has been OBSESSED with cheese and a particular “cheese dip” to be exact. However in later years my tastebuds were longing for a cheese dip who’s main ingredient wasn’t one molecule away from being plastic so I was always on the hunt for a great “cheese dip” or queso recipe. Ironically enough, I don’t eat cheese anymore….except for on occasion when I make this cheese dip. Over the years the cheese obsession seemed to developed into a bit of lactose intolerance- but this queso! Oh it is worth the consequences.
Also to be noted, this stuff is not good for you! I mean, it’s not horrible- it actually involves REAL cheese. Technically for all intents and purposes I could call this “clean eating queso” but I won’t. You will need, one WHOLE stick of butter ( do not skimp- it’s not worth it! You need the calories anyway, you’re wasting away to nothing). 1/2 LB Pepper Jack cheese & 1/2 LB white american cheese, both need to be from the deli! That is super important. You need to get sliced cheese from the sweet lady behind the deli counter, prepackaged cheese will not melt correctly and you will be incredibly sad. You will also need one round of Queso Quesadilla, I usually buy the Cacique brand and love it! It is also widely available. You will also need one can of rotel ( any kind of canned chopped tomato and pepper combo). Sometimes if I’m making this leisurely I chop my own tomatos and jalapeños ( or poblanos for my mild friends) but in a rush canned is just perfect. One cup of heavy whipping cream and whole milk as needed (once again you need the calories). And cilantro as garnish, because you’re fancy.
You’ll start by melting your butter in a sauce pan, once it is beautifully liquified you can add in the can of tomatos and jalapeños and bring them up to temperature. I then crumble (or chop) the pepper jack and american cheeses and add them to the sauce pan. Once the cheese begins to melt you can whisk in the cup of heavy cream. Once the cream is well incorporated crumble and mix in the queso quesadilla. Add in milk as needed while the cheese melts to achieve desired thick/thinness.
If you’re planning on taking this to an event or having company this keeps wonderfully in a crockpot set on “warm”- the low setting can be a bit much and burn the cheese. Seriously guys, this stuff is thebomb.com! I hope you whip some up for your next gathering and see for yourself!
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 can of Rotel
- 1/2 LB Pepper Jack Cheese (from the deli counter)
- 1/2 LB White American Cheese (from the deli counter)
- 1 Round of Queso Quesadilla ( I use Cacique brand)
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- whole milk as needed
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Melt one stick of butter into a sauce pan over medium high heat. Once the butter is melted empty the can of Rotel into the sauce pan and cook for 1-2 minutes occasionally stirring. Next crumble or chop up both pepper jack and american cheeses and stir into the sauce pan. Cook for two more minutes, stirring occasionally until the cheese begins to melt. Next incorporate the heavy cream into the melting cheese mixture stirring constantly until the cheese is melted. Once the cheese is completely melted, crumble the queso quesadilla and incorporate into the sauce pan stirring constantly until the cheese is totally melted. At this point you can add in milk as needed to achieve the desired consistency.
- Serve with chips and enjoy!